What It Is:
Couchsurfing is a platform were you can offer to host somebody for free or to get accommodation for free. A search by location shows available hosts, events, groups, and even “hangouts,” which are travelers in the area who want to meet up.
Adventure travelers that search for like-minded people and that want to live an economic backpacker lifestyle.
How To Use It:
Read hosts’ profiles before messaging them, and be descriptive in your own. People are inviting you into their homes, make sure to be respectful. This isn’t a free hostel, this is a cultural exchange. Warning: you will make friends.
- Free, easy, useful, and a fantastic way to meet interesting people worldwide.
- Sending out lots of requests can be quite time consuming. The more in-demand a location is, the more requests you’ll likely have to send out to find a host.
Things To Know:
- Pro tip: Send your requests to hosts a week or two in advance. Last minute requests work on occasion, but don’t count on it.
- Meeting your host in public before staying with them is a good practice.
- Some people use CS to try and hook up. If someone is being obviously flirtatious, just find another host.
- We love Couchsurfing.
Have experience with Couchsurfing? Rate it below!