Helpx connects volunteers with hosts around the world. Volunteers work in exchange for a free accommodation. A Helpx site can technically be just about anything, but volunteer work at hostels, eco-farms, language programs, yoga schools, etc. are fairly very common.
Anyone who wants to get involved in different projects abroad, though of course this is particularly useful for budget traveler, adventure types.
How To Use It:
Helpx membership costs 20 euros and lasts two years. Without it you will not be able to contact hosts yourself. Create a profile, then simply search for hosts by region, and message them showing your interest.
Doing volunteer work exchange, combined with earning online using sites such as the one we review on Nomad Playground, is a very effective way of budget traveling anywhere in the world.
- Free accommodation.
- Meet some truly amazing people, doing interesting projects, in many different countries.
- Wide variety in types of volunteer sites, though how much variety entirely depends on location.
- Not as many hosts or users as similar competitor Work Away.
- Just as with any host program, it’s possible to have a negative experience. Not all hosts or volunteers are great people. If you get a bad vibe from a host, it’s best to just leave and find something else.
- Depending on the site you might be short on personal space or easy transportation access. It comes with the territory – make sure you’re comfortable with what a site requires.
Things To Know:
- Like other work exchanges, Helpx should not be seen by travelers as only an easy way to get free room and board, and should not be viewed by hosts as only easy way to just get free labor. The free aspect of work exchange is of course a huge part of the appeal, but the larger point is cultural exchange and connecting cool people with interesting projects. Invest yourself in the experience.
- It’s up to you to make a good profile, find hosts, and arrange the details – you’re expected to take care of yourself.
- Communicate about all the details with your host before volunteering. You don’t want to be in a situation in which there are different understandings or expectations.
Have experience with helpx? Rate it below!