Rev.com is a platform that hires freelancers for work in transcription, captioning, and translation.
Pay depends on which of the three you choose and on your speed. Captioners, for example, get $.045 – $0.75 per video minute. Rev claims that the average captioner takes home $240/ month, with top earners making $1,500/ month. This of course depends on several factors, but generally you can work as little or as much as you want.
How To Use It:
Rev’s application process can be a bit strict, and there are a few steps to the application. First you fill out a quick form, and Rev sends you the first task. After an introduction to either captioning, transcription, or translation (depending on what you’ve chosen), and using their style guide, you are given a short trial assignment. Complete and wait for a review. If you make it past the first task, you will be given two more, slightly more difficult ones. There is a short waiting period (no more than a day) before you are informed if you have been approved as a freelancer. If you are, you can start earning immediately.
This is probably best used as a source of beer money. It is too time/attention consuming to be incredibly lucrative, although the more you do it you receive bumps in pay and opportunities to make more. Some use Rev in their free time to cover the cost of their social life, but if they are to be believed then people who are willing to do this pretty seriously could be making ~$750/month.
- You can take on as a many jobs as you want as long as you can complete them on time – there’s no cap.
- Payments are accurate, timely, and done with Paypal every Monday.
- Once you have completed 80 minutes of captioning you receive a 20% increase per video minute.
- Open schedule, though there are certain times when a greater number of projects are available to choose from. Work as much or as little as you choose.
- Make sure stay to on top of your projects because they matter for your metrics. If your metrics fall below a certain threshold, you will not be able to continue working for Rev.
- In the beginning, the amount of time you put in to each project will probably not be proportional to the amount of money you can make, which can be discouraging.
- Entry can be difficult. One article (without citation), reported the acceptance rate at just 10%.
Things To Know:
- In captioning work, you earn more per minute for longer videos and videos with a greater degree of difficulty.
- The more you work with Rev the more efficient you become.
- There are time limits on projects, and some are significantly more difficult than others. It is important to understand how long a project will take, and not to take on projects that you don’t have time to complete.
- Rev claims that on average rookies make $30/month. Once you’ve completed 80 minutes earnings go up to $120/month, and if you are dedicated and efficient then it could be $750/month. We haven’t yet been given a reason to dispute this, though it obviously depends on how much time you put it.
- Rev’s forum for tips and tricks from other freelancers is actually quite useful.
Have experience working with Rev? Rate it below!