Verbling is a popular language teaching platform in which teachers can post their profiles, and students purchase their services. The main demand is for English, Spanish, and Mandarin teachers, but just about any language you can think of is available.
Teachers set their own rates, though Verbling takes 15% commission.
You have a high bar to pass in order to qualify. If you do not have a degree, certification, or experience there’s a good chance your application will be rejected. The average wages are considerably higher than some of it’s competitors.
How To Use It:
Application with video component, followed by a wait for approval. Create your profile, check out the features, and set your hourly rate. Weekly earnings are unlocked each Sunday and you can transfer them to your Paypal anytime afterwards. As with other marketplaces your profile rating is crucial, and will take some patience to build – make sure students leave you good marks.
It’s possible to create courses and lesson plans which can help you to attract more longer-term students.
- Because of its high standards for teachers Verbling doesn’t feel as much like a race to the bottom regarding rates, as some other platforms do.
- Choose your hours and can change your schedule at any time.
- You can choose to be notified for last-minute teaching opportunities on short notice.
- Communicate directly with the students and choose who you want to tutor.
- Responsive and friendly support team.
- The online ‘Workspace’ makes it easy to upload documents and keep a track of your students’ work.
- The platform is large, feature rich, and popular among students.
- High bar for entry means that Verbling is less available to casual travelers. Though for qualified teachers, this is a plus.
- There seems to be a fair amount of random advertising and students asking for free lessons, but these you can just ignore.
- Only works with Google Chrome browser (make sure your students have it).
Things to Know:
- It’s worth putting thought and planning into your application video. Verbling may be stricter in acceptance but the pay is worth the effort.
- Strongly recommend to to do a trial class with new students before booking any other classes. This way you get to know the student better and gauge their learning style before they pay the full price and so possibly expecting a detailed class
- As with other platforms such as iTalki, there’s quite a bit of variation in teacher success. A lot of it comes down to how good a teacher’s ratings, reviews, and welcome videos are.
- Lessons are launched from the platform via Google Hangouts.
- Paypal only.
Have you worked with Verbling? Rate it below!