VIPKid only accepts applicants who are citizens of the US or Canada.
VIPKID is great for former teachers and can truly work for people who are looking to make some extra money, all the way to covering bills and paying rent. If you are a nomadic teacher and have a reliable connection, VIPKID is likely a perfect fit.
Due to some requirements like minimum hourly commitment, professional background during lessons, etc. it is recommended to work with VIPKid once you are set up in a location, and not while are traveling quickly between many different locations. With that in mind, this is a highly recommended company.
How To Use It
VIPKID is looking for quality teachers – an application, online interview and mock class are required. If hired, you can begin earning money within the week. VIPKID provides videos and other material to review before applying so you know what they are looking for.
For work, all you need is a quiet area and a stable internet connection. Log into your VIPKID Teacher’s Portal, click schedule, and mark your availability. You will begin to see students fill your time slots. When that time comes simply click on the slot and “Go to classroom,” which takes you to the student you will be teaching for the next 25 minutes.
Pay is 7 USD – 9 USD per 25 minute class + leaving feedback, which comes out to be 18 USD – 22 USD per hour. This is before bonuses. Base salary is dependent on experience.
- Talented, committed students.
- Flexible schedule.
- Fun atmosphere.
- Fair pay + bonuses.
- Cultural exchange.
- Competitions with cash prizes or trips to China.
- Lesson plans, PPTs and Assessments provided.
- VIPKID implements new policies suggested by teachers.
- Mobile App to check your schedule and provide class feedback.
- Any Teacher NO SHOWS (even 1) greatly affect your pay. A reliable connection is a must.
- If you teach a trial course and the student does not show up, you are required to stay in the classroom 15 minutes and will only be payed half of your rate.
- There are a lot of trial class no shows which take time slots which could have been used to teach students and earn your full rate.
- Depending on your location hours can be odd.
- If you don’t submit feedback in timely manner, you do not receive payment for that class.
- One of the authors of this listing once received a Teacher NO SHOW once due to a technical glitch, despite contacting the right people. Tip – If a student does not show up, take multiple screen shots of the empty classroom while waiting and save them for when payroll arrives.
Things To Know:
- You are required to teach a certain amount of hours per week (can vary from 7-15) during PEAK times. This is the only strict scheduling commitment they have.
- They require a professional background and some props. No beach lounging or hostel common rooms.
- They have a tech department to help teachers and students with any issues.
- VIPKID’s “firemen” are bilingual and communicate with the parents. The only communication you have with the parents is through the end of class feedback.
- Open up as many time slots as possible.
- Teach during PEAK PEAK times so you qualify for more bonuses.
- Refer friends you believe would be perfect VIPKID teachers.
- Teach awesome trial classes. You will get a bonus if students sign up after your class.
Have experience working with VIPKid? Rate it below!